A leafy memorial to the foresight of the early city fathers, Ada Ryan Gardens is Whyalla’s most popular park located between Cudmore and Watson Terraces, and linked to the Whyalla Foreshore to provide a large, relaxing park area.
The gardens offer extensive and well shaded lawns and gardens; free barbecue and picnic facilities; a collection of kangaroos, birds, a duck pond and other wildlife; free tennis courts; playground equipment and public toilet facilities. The gardens have paved paths throughout, enabling wheelchair access.
The gardens were the site of Whyalla’s first cemetery, which was moved in August 1918 to the current cemetery in Broadbent Terrace.
Ada Ryan Gardens was the first major park established in Whyalla and named after the wife of the Chairman of the then City Commission, Charles Ryan.