Charles Sturt Museum Historic Precinct
A feature of the Charles Sturt Museum Historic Precinct is the Grange, the colonial home of Captain Charles Sturt 1840 - 1853. Captain Sturt was one of Australia’s most famous explorers, his River Murray expedition paved the way for settlement in South Australia while his expedition into central Australia opened up the interior of Australia to development.
The Grange was restored in 1966 and features the original furniture of Capt Sturt while the Exhibition Gallery houses many of Sturt's expeditionary artefacts. This significant collection is the largest in the world outside that held in Britain by his family. It features the original Union Jacks carried on his two major expedition, his telescope, his compass, part of the whale boat and two dried specimens of Sturt Pea from the central expedition.
The Precinct is a Registered Historic Place and is part of the National Estate, a member of Historic Homes of Australia and a Learning Destination for the Children's University.
Guided tours are provided of the Grange and the Exhibition Gallery and multi media displays can be viewed. Opening hours 2.00 - 5.00pm 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month.
Mid week group tours by arrangement