Hindmarsh Historical Fire And Folk Museum
The Hindmarsh Historical Fire and Folk Museum was one of the first historical societies in South Australia and its aim was to preserve memorabilia from the Hindmarsh area for future generations to see and enjoy.
The Museum is located in the previous Volunteers Fire Brigade building and an extensive collection of memorabilia from the Brigade forms the basis of our collection.
The Hindmarsh Volunteers Fire Brigade was the second volunteer fire brigade in the state; Norwood was opened three months earlier. The Brigade was operational from 1884 to 1942 when the government disbanded it during the Second World War and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade took over the responsibilities.
The fully restored 1927 Chevrolet Fire Engine used by the Brigade is on display and used in historical parades from time to time and an original Wooden Hand Cart, circa 1890, used by the fire fighters is also displayed.