Kuitpo Forest is situated in the South Mount Lofty Ranges, 45 minutes drive from Adelaide, near the township of Meadows.
Established in 1898, Kuitpo was the first of a number of forest plantations in the Mount Lofty Ranges to ensure a sustainable timber resource for South Australia.
Today, Kuitpo Forest Reserve covers an area of some 3,600 hectares, of which 60 percent is softwood plantation. Kuitpo's plantations yield some 25,000 cubic metres of timber each year, valued in excess of AUD1.5 million.
Kuitpo is modelled as a community forest, managed for sustainable commercial forestry, while providing for the conservation of native flora and fauna and community use for recreation.