The Powder Magazine was erected in 1847 and is the oldest remaining mine building in Australia. It stored gunpowder used in blasting at the mine.
The building has an arched stone roof for strength and was lined with sheepskin for safety. The National Trust restored it in 1976.
Admission to Powder Magazine is included in the Burra Heritage Passport, available from the Burra Visitor Information Centre, 2 Market Square, Burra. Can be opened with a key at anytime when on the Burra Herritage Passport.