Myponga Reservoir LookoutFree
The Myponga Reservoir Lookout provides sweeping views of the reservoir and surrounding pine forest. Construction of the reservoir began in 1957 and it was completed in 1962. The concrete arch dam wall is 49 metres high and 226 long. The reservoir is 35 metres deep and holds 26,800 mega litres. When full the water spread covers 280 hectares.
The reservoir supplies water to the southern metropolitan area and the south coast. Unlike other reservoirs Myponga does not receive any water from the River Murray but instead operates from water collected in the natural catchment. Below the reservoir the Myponga River makes its way through the valleys flowing into Gulf St Vincent at Myponga Beach. The Myponga Reservoir Treatment Plant was built in 1993 and currently serves approximately 50,000 people across an area that extends from McLaren Vale to Victor Harbor.
Dogs permitted on a leash. Contact the Yankalilla Visitor Information Centre for more details.