The Obelisk was erected on Cape Dombey in 1852, used to navigate entrance into Guichen Bay and to store rocket lifesaving equipment. The firing of rockets carrying baskets to distressed ships to bring passengers ashore saved many lives.
Later it assisted passing ships with navigation, standing at a height of 12 metres it is easily visible 20 kilometres out to sea. In 1862, after complaints by the Captains that the then white Obelisk was difficult to differentiate from Long Beach's white sand hills, it was repainted in alternate red and white bands.
Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation