In South Australia, there's so much to love about the cricket
Few cities are more suited to a hit of cricket than South Australia. Blue summer skies and balmy nights are the perfect backdrop, with the world-renowned Adelaide Oval playing host to massive international test matches through the warmer months.
From Adelaide Oval’s awesome atmosphere to nearby galleries, museums, restaurants, bars and parklands, in South Australia, there’s so much more to love about a day (and night) at the cricket than the game itself.
Watch India take on Australia at the 1st Test Match of the season from 6-10 December 2018.
1. Soak up the atmosphereTell me more: You don’t have to be a die-hard sportslover to have a great time at the cricket. Playing host to international sports matches, musical acts and arena spectaculars, the Adelaide Oval’s electric atmosphere and world-leading facilities (including the jaw-dropping Commonwealth Bank RoofClimb and luxurious Hill of Grace restaurant) are more than enough reason to don your wide-brimmed hat, slap on the sunscreen and join the party.
2. Sip and savour Adelaide’s café and bar sceneTell me more: Whether you’re quenching your pre-game thirst or winding down after the action, you’ll find a smorgasbord of cool cafés, bustling bars and world-renowned restaurants only minutes’ walk from Adelaide Oval. Treat your taste buds at exotic Madame Hanoi, grab a bite at chic Sean’s Kitchen, quench your thirst at Queens Head and Cathedral Hotel’s rooftop bar, or take-in stunning city views from the glamorous heights of 2KW Bar and Restaurant.
For the WAG’s (women and girlfriends) of cricket, refine your pre or post cricket experience at the many stiletto friendly venues in the inner city laneways of Peel St, Leigh St and Gilbert Place. May we suggest Alfreds, Clever Little Tailor, Pink Moon Saloon, Bread & Bone or Hains & Co.
3. Join the party at our summer festivalsTell me more: In January, February and March, when nights are at their longest and balmiest, Adelaide enters party overdrive. In the space of a few months, our capital is host to the massive Adelaide Fringe Festival, Adelaide Festival of Arts, WOMADelaide, SANTOS Tour Down Under and Superloop Adelaide 500. Keep the party going long after the match is over.
4. Fill your shopping bagsTell me more: Adelaide is the perfect place to fill your shopping bags. Treat yourself to a pre-game splurge at Rundle Mall – over 700 retailers in one convenient pedestrian-friendly strip, only a few minutes’ walk from Adelaide Oval. Discover boutiques selling local designs and higher-end clothing stores on Rundle Street.
5. Spend the nightTell me more: Here for a few days? Boasting a luxurious range of high-end hotels including the five-star Mayfair, boutique Playford, glamorous InterContinental and stylish Adabco Boutique Hotel, there’s never been a better time to spend the night in Adelaide.
So go on, stay a while and #SeeSouthAustralia.