In 1851, up to 2,000 miners and their families lived in these dugouts along the riverbed. Floods drove many people out into the homes built by the mining companies.
Wages were low, but some miners continued to live in poor conditions with the constant threat of floods and disease, rather than pay rent. By 1860, the dugouts were virtually deserted.
Entrance to the Miners’ Dugouts is included in the Burra Heritage Passport, available from the Burra and Goyder Visitor Information Centre, 2 Market Square, Burra (open seven days per week and public holidays 9am to 5pm, closed Christmas Day). Can be opened with a key during daylight hours when using the Burra Heritage Passport.
Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation