Skip to content

Unicorn Brewery Cellars



The Unicorn Brewery was built in 1873 and consisted of a tall malting tower, offices, cooper's workshop, steam engine and boiler to operate the pumps, and manager's residence.

The cellars were excavated and completed in 1873. Due to new licensing laws, introduced at the turn of the century, the Brewery closed in 1902 and the buildings demolished for their stone in 1911.

The cellars, storeroom, manager's residence and walls of the brewery block still remain, and have seen recent restoration work carried out in stage one of the project.

Entrance to the Unicorn Brewery Cellars is included in the Burra Heritage Passport, available from the Burra and Goyder Visitor Information Centre, 2 Market Square, Burra. Access is available with your Passport key anytime during daylight hours as part of the Burra Heritage Passport.


Entrance price included in Burra heritage Passport Cost


  • Entity Facility


  • Accreditation

    Museums Australia
    National Trust

  • Activities


  • Membership

    Museums Australia
    Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation
    Visitor Information Centre

  • Internet Access Point

    Free Wifi