Peacocks Chimney StackFree
Peacock’s Chimney was created to provide an updraught to the boilers at Peacocks Engine House.
The reopening of the open cut mine in the early 1970s necessitated the destruction of Peacocks Chimney so, to the credit of many dedicated and hardworking members of the National Trust, the chimney was rebuilt in 1972 at its present location.
Johnny Green sits atop the relocated chimney. Johnny Green has been the mascot of the miners since 1852 and is dedicated as a memorial to the Cousin Jacks and their fellow miners at the Burra Mine.
Maps to Peacocks Chimney Stack are available from the Burra and Goyder Visitor Information Centre.