The classic Cornish Hughes Enginehouse was constructed in 1865. It was named after Walter Watson Hughes, the founder of the Moonta Mining Company.
The building housed a 60 inch (1.52 metre) Cornish beam pumping engine, which operated pumps in Hughes and Taylor's Shafts to allow the mining of the main ore body below natural water levels.
The engine worked continuously, except for maintenance for more than 58 years until closure of the mine in 1923. Hughes Enginehouse is in the Moonta Mines National Heritage Area.
A walking trail provides access to Hughes Enginehouse and environs, and signs interpret the remaining structures.
Hughes Enginehouse is able to be viewed from the parking area.